It’s that time of year again, as the temperature starts to drop you’ll seek out ways to stay warm. Whether you rely solely on the heating system installed in your home or follow a supplemental heating strategy, it’s wise to know how to safely use a portable safety heater before you plug it in.
When used correctly, portable space heaters are not only safe to use, but they’re also great devices to help you safe money and energy usage. Unfortunately, every year we hear stories about people accidentally starting a fire because they didn’t use their space heater correctly.
To help you and your family stay both warm and safe, we’ve compiled a list of eighteen space heater safety tips in this easy-to-read infographic. Before you plug in your portable space heater this winter, make sure you read over our list of tips.
Quick Safety Tips:
Even though these are all listed in the infographic above, we wanted to recap a few important tips to keep you and your family safe. When using an electric space heater, it is wise to practice the following general safety tips:
- Never leave an electric space heater unattended while it is operating.
- Make sure your heater is placed on a level surface where pets and children cannot reach it.
- Make sure your space heater is at least three feet away from materials that can easily catch fire such as furniture, bedding, and curtains.
- Be mindful of the placement of electrical cords making sure they will not pose a tripping hazard.
- Do not use an electric space heater near water or in damp conditions.
- Plug your electrical space heater directly into the wall, or if an extension cord is needed use a heavy-duty cord of 14-guage wire or larger.
Practicing these general safety tips will allow you to safely enjoy the warmth and other benefits of a compact, efficient and effective portable space heater.
Spread the Word About Space Heater Safety:
To help you educate your friends and family on this important matter, we’ve made this Infographic available to use on your site. Simply copy and paste the code below onto your website.