Many people shrug off rice cookers as a one trick pony, but in fact, they have many uses other than just making rice. Rice cookers can definitely come in handy in many ways whether you want to make a dish without constant stirring or supervision, you want to cook several dishes at once and are in need of an extra “burner,” or you need to cook a meal in a place that does not come equipped with a kitchen. In all these instances having a rice cooker would be a life saver. Here are 12 different ways to use a rice cooker that you may not be aware of:
- No Stir Risotto – Sauté butter and onions in the open rice cooker. Add your rice and liquid such as broth or wine. Let cook for about 20 to 25 minutes depending on your rice cooker. Then mix in grated cheese and herbs. Some rice cookers only come equipped with an on/off setting while others have a “slow” or “porridge” cycle, and now some have even come out with a “risotto” setting.
- Steam Meat or Vegetables – Many rice cookers come with a steamer rack. All you have to do is cut up the veggies or meat and steam.
- Oatmeal – To cook it takes a little less milk or water than cooking on a stove top.
- Beans – Rinse beans and place in rice cooker with liquid. The exact time and amount of liquid will depend on your rice cooker but a good rule of thumb is 2 parts liquid to 1 part beans.
- Soups or Stews – With enough liquid and time you can make soups and stews.
- Poach Fruit – Simmer fruit in juice, wine or even maple syrup.
- Frittatas – Coat rice cooker with non-cook spray and add desired ingredients, mix well and let cook until eggs are firm.
- Spaghetti Sauce – Place desired sauce ingredients in rice cooker and cooker.
- Macaroni and Cheese – Place noodles and liquids into the rice cooker and cook. After pasta is done, add cheese and any other desired ingredients.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs – Place several wet paper towels in the bottom of the rice cooker. Next, place eggs in the rice cooker. Close lid and and press cook. Once done, let rice cooker sit with the lid closed for another 2 minutes. Open lid and you’re done.
- Jambalaya – Add all desired ingredients and cook.
- Cake – Yes, you can even bake a cake in your rice cooker!
Let us know if you try making something besides rice in your rice cooker in the comments! We’d love to see pictures and hear how it turned out. Do you know of any other recipes you can make in a rice cooker?